THE STORY OF MUIRYHALL STREET
Back in 2016/2017, A falling piece of masonary alerted North Lanarkshire Council to a problem with 48 units. Subsequent examination of these units by North Lanarkshire Council concluded there was a problem with the composite blockwork and this could be remedied in one of two ways, either:
1. Hammer test the blocks annually ata cost of circa £16,000 per annun to the owners.
2. Render the blocks in a pin and scrim system, this protecting the blocks.
FORMATION OF AQUILA – OUR FIRST MANAGED BLOCK
Aquila was formed because the owners wished to go for option 2. Option 2 meant a cost of £230,000 to the owners and the need for a factor to carry the works forward. Aquila was appointed as the block factor, replacing Ross and Liddel and immediately worked hard to obtain a section 30 grant to carry out the works. The works were completed in September 2018 on budget and were managed under a JCT Contract by Aquila’s own Quantity Surveyors.
MANAGEMENT OF MUIRYHALL STREET THEREAFTER
Since taking over the tenure and management of these blocks, Aquila have completed the following:
1. £230,000 grant as previously described.
2. Employed a weekly traditional clean.
3. Employed a Litter Picker / Handyman (owner on-site).
4. Reduced Insurance costs by 70%.
5. Created an owner owned contingency (Slush) fund for repairs and improvements.
6. Reduced owner costs by approximately 33% from Ross and Liddell.
7. Installed ner LED Fire lighting into all staircases.
8. Installed new LED Car park Lighting.
9. Repaired broken door entry systems (inherited from Ross and Liddell).
10. Installed High Definition CCTV Camera System on-site.
11. Set up and owner led partnership.
12. Sought out free gas central heating installation into the blocks (all 48 units were previously electrically heated).
13. 100% of owners paying site fees.
Working with the owners, we have turned this block into a desirable residence in central Coatbridge. We plan to continue the improvements by recarpeting stairwells amongst other items.
If you would like to follow a similar route, and take ownership of your site and work in partnership with your factor, then this is the model to follow.